One of the primary goals of all managers is to motivate employees to achieve highest-level performance. Higher employee motivation leads to greater creativity, productivity and discretionary effort, which in turn lead to improved company performance.
Results show that you should start with your human resources practices, which can have a direct impact on employee motivation.It is essential that you understand the relationship of employee motivation to your company’s performance. Identify strategies to motivate your employees to increase their discretionary effort, have a plan to implement those strategies which ultimately will contribute to your company’s success. The Following are a few examples of how employee motivation can be established.
Understand employee needs
• Devise employee management programs and practices that aim to satisfy emerging or unmet needs such as offering flexible work schedules or benefit plans to employees.
• Actively seek employee input regarding issues that are important to them.
Offer fair compensation
• Establish hiring and promotion decisions that are based on merit- and job-related information.
• Find out employee perceptions of salary, working conditions and supervisor relationships. Respond quickly and accordingly to correct potential problems.
Build an effective employee rewards program
• Consider using a combination of rewards in your company’s reward system.
• Start by examining and addressing sources of dissatisfaction, such as salary, workplace relationships and job security.
• Next, improve motivating factors, such as employee recognition, career growth and increased responsibility levels.
Set challenging goals
• Set difficult goals that are quantifiable and measurable.
• Make sure employees understand and support the goals.
Link employee results and rewards
• Develop and communicate performance standards and reward systems to all employees.
• Give employees regular feedback on their progress towards their goals.
• Quickly reward goal and performance achievement. Great results should equal great rewards.